Official Seven-g Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Joystick

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 New Joystick on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:09 pm

McBadaz

LTJG
LTJG
Well my saitek died after a year and a half of what i thought was light use, so I'm looking for a replacement. It was a X52 (not pro) therefore HOTAS and i got to say i got spoiled with the whole HOTAS thing. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a replacement set. Just umm, I don't really have a lot of money to burn (so like the new x65 and g490 are out of the question) so anything within about 150$ dollars would be doable. I'm not sure however, if it would be wise to just buy a new x52, since the last one broke but maybe this was just a bad one?

BTW only the joystick part of the x52 stopped working, the throttle is perfectly fine. Would it be possible to replace the joystick with another one, like one of those CH sticks? Like as in have them appear as one joystick (since a lot of games don't support more than one at the same time)?

PS anyone interested in buying the throttle xD (jk)(maybe)

2 Re: New Joystick on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:04 am

636_Castle

LT
LT
LOL nice....I see you decided to opt for a new FCS.

You could indeed go with a new stick and use your throttle. It wouldn't exactly be the prettiest setup, but at least you'd have $150 to spend on the stick alone. Do NOT go with another Saitek. Your misfortune was not a coincidence I can assure you. I went thru 3 X52s, and this is my 4th - (Pro version), which I had to fix manually as you saw on my YT channel. I also have a Saitek Cyborg v5 keyboard, and even though I greatly appreciated the gift it was to me, I found that Saitek actually false advertised many features after dissecting the board myself.

If you get a CH product, keep in mind you'll either need to buy rudder pedals, or assign a rotary on your throttle as your rudder. The 'Fighter Stick' that they have is amazing from what I've heard. Nothing but good reviews on it.

3 Re: New Joystick on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:49 am

PL_Harpoon

LT
LT
Well, actually, I got X52 myself (for 3-4 years), and after a slight manual adjustments the thing moves flawless. IMO all flaws may come from long waiting in the store, cause after cleaning up (inside) all issues I had before just disappeared.
You might also try to fix it yourself. It may be some minor problem, or a cable issue. Actually, if the stick is completely or partially dead I'd first recommend checking the cable.
If that doesn't work or you don't want to mess with it, I'd suggest buying a new stick alone. Search for something with lots of hats, and good accuracy. And I can't help you with that cause I always used some saitek Razz

Good luck.

4 Re: New Joystick on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:21 pm

McBadaz

LTJG
LTJG
thanks for the replies guys
the 150 is gonna be the money I'm going to have available around Christmas santa though (lol) but yea i will definitely go with (a) CH stick and rudders ( if i can find both for under 150)

anyway, devs and admin, will the game support multiple joysticks? I ask this because the problem arose while i was trying to use my saitek throttle with my lil 360 controller i couldn't, so when i get these separate throttle and stick to go along with the joystick will the game recognize them all?

(or will i have to mess around with ppjoy to make it all work Sad ?)

btw does lol! remind anyone of dragonball z? the hair is really nostalgic Smile

5 Re: New Joystick on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:48 pm

636_Castle

LT
LT
McBadaz wrote:
btw does lol! remind anyone of dragonball z? the hair is really nostalgic Smile

Goku!!!!

At the moment my X-52 Pro works in 7G, if that's what you meant by multiple joysticks.

6 Re: New Joystick on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 am

cmatt

RDML
RDML
I have an X52 Pro with the Saitek rudder pedals and they work very well. I haven't had any problems with my X52 Pro, yet.

7 Re: New Joystick on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:02 pm

Asp

LTJG
LTJG
Been using X52-Pro for 18 months now.
Soon after I received mine (new) some of the buttons and rotaries (on the Throttle) began to, not respond.

I opened it up and a couple of the connectors had become loose. there was a thin film of lubricant on the pins and on the main pcb. I cleaned the lubricant off the pcb (with non-lanolin alcohol) connector header pins and used a fine tooth brush to clean out the connectors internally. Untwisted 1 turn off the connector wire bundles, and reassyembled everything.

I have had no problems since and I use my setup 1 to two hours every day.

It is fast and easy to do. It might help in this situation.

Asp

8 Re: New Joystick on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:01 am

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
Anyone know if you can get the hornet flightstick or full HOTAS in the same vein as the HOTAS Cougar F-16 setup?

I've found one at Aerotronics, but I think they're aimed more at the military and therefore apparently come with a sizeable pricetag. I don't want to have to cast one myself! Sad

9 Re: New Joystick on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm

636_Castle

LT
LT
MudRat02 wrote:Anyone know if you can get the hornet flightstick or full HOTAS in the same vein as the HOTAS Cougar F-16 setup?

I've found one at Aerotronics, but I think they're aimed more at the military and therefore apparently come with a sizeable pricetag. I don't want to have to cast one myself! Sad

I emailed them a long time ago wanting that same product, and he assured me it was only for mil. use.

10 Re: New Joystick on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:14 pm

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
636_Castle wrote:
MudRat02 wrote:Anyone know if you can get the hornet flightstick or full HOTAS in the same vein as the HOTAS Cougar F-16 setup?

I emailed them a long time ago wanting that same product, and he assured me it was only for mil. use.

I thought that would be the case. This site (pic below) offers a very good looking hornet hotas, but the guys that have dealt with them over at viperpits reckon they are a bit of a scam and should be avoided though. Neutral

Surely someone makes them!

11 Re: New Joystick on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:48 pm

636_Castle

LT
LT
Wowww scam or not, very nice looking setup.

12 Re: New Joystick on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:55 pm

cmatt

RDML
RDML
We actually have few sets of these for some desktop testing applications. I think they are in the neighbourhood of $10-15K per set. They are very nice, but not at that price. All serial connections (ours are anyways).

13 Re: New Joystick on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:26 pm

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
Yeah I thought that might have been the case...well, not 10-15k but I thought it might have been a few grand Laughing I think the Suncom F-15 stick (which isn't in production any more) is about as close as we'll get for now, and its hard to come by. The new Thrustmaster A-10 stick looks good, but why would I waste the money on such a top notch replica when I have no interest in simming an A-10? lol!

In that case, I think I'm going to get this setup:

14 Re: New Joystick on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:22 am

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
Turns out all of HRS gear were passed on to "Bugeye Technology", who have a much better looking site Wink

I haven't enquired, but their "mid to high" level of fidelity is no doubt still aimed at military.

15 Re: New Joystick on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:08 pm

McBadaz

LTJG
LTJG
Cool Cool Laughing Very Happy santa Very Happy Cool Surprised
the joystick works again!!!!!!
it turns out there was some broken wire in the stick, so we fixed that, next thing i knew the damn thing worked again!

now i dont need to buy that really expensive ch stick, which i held off on buying because i was split between getting just a stick or saving up money and getting the nice logitech or x-65 saitek one

looks like i can hold up making that decision till later

16 Re: New Joystick on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:38 am

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
I'm looking at getting a new setup, at the moment I have a very old CH stick with only a few buttons (no hats .ect). I've been reading some reviews on a replacement, but has anyone here got the inside scoop on the G920, X65 or the CH setup?

At the moment it looks like the G920 would be a good solution as it sounds pretty sturdy and has force feedback (bliss for trimming if nothing else, but I'm sure I'd appreciate buffet too). On the other hand, I've heard favourable things about the X65 (metal construction Shocked) but it doesn't come with rudder pedals, and throttle twist for rudder is not a positive feature to be mild. So I suppose its the full suite but less durability vs. durability but no rudder.

Has anyone here got experience with logitech sticks? How's the longevity?

17 Re: New Joystick on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 am

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT
I can tell ya about both MudRat. Seems like everything has drawbacks these days. Obviously you know how the CH sticks tend to have a big "clicky" center because of their spring configuration... keep that in mind. Neither of these joysticks have perfect motion. (The X65 obviously having none.)

When I choose a joystick, i factor in smoothness of motion, tension arrangement, ergonomics, and button functionality. The Logitech G940 was a strong consideration of my own for a while, and I even got to handle an evaluation version before it was released, and I can tell you, they are beautifully designed, but with all the classic pitfalls of a force-feedback stick. They lack smooth tension and centering, and have a "grainy" feel to the tension. The ergonomics are fantastic... as far as construction goes, it is the best mainstream HOTAS I've tried. (Haven't felt the new Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog.) Force feedback to me is more of a problem than a benefit, since 99% of my time is spent in close formation, where FF is mostly a detriment. (Uncommanded stick movement and "sloppy" centering.) To sum it up- great construction, but not the best movement if you're looking for ultimate precision.

The X65 looks fairly sturdy, but the stick doesn't move. (to me, that's an instant no-no.) You named the other downsides!

On the whole, for the kind of flying I think you prefer, I would choose the Logitech. It seemed like a very nice product for the amount of time I got to handle it. Very well built and felt very good in the hands. I can't say enough about the construction and ergonomics... it's a very, very nicely designed piece. Only drawback was the force feedback, to me. (Which to you, may be preferable!) What I do with the Virtual Blue Angels is pretty specific, so I'm trying not to factor that in here too much.

Good luck with whatever you choose! If you have specific questions, let me know.

(PS. When you hit the end of the line with commercial joysticks and know exactly what you want, you build your own! Wink Just before mine was finished: http://virtualblueangels.net/ftpmain_members/beaker/stickproj/99pct.jpg)

18 Re: New Joystick on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:51 am

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
Thanks for the advice, Beaker. I put in an order for the Logitech, can't wait to move on from this old CH! I haven't been able to fault its reliability (still going strong after 10 years!), but its true about the centre zone; the stick transitions between fore/aft and left/right with a very noticeable jerk and an audible click which has been a bit of an annoyance, not to mention the lack of functions. From what you've said and what I've read about both the G940 and the X65, the Logitech sounds like its definitely going to be the best all-rounder for me at the moment.

Awesome custom joystick, too. I'd love to make my own centrestick down the track, did you build your setup using the parts from a HOTAS Cougar?

19 Re: New Joystick on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:54 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT
I used to own a CH Combatstick, and it was on the desk and back off within 2 weeks. They're very sturdy, and they have absolutely the best buttons/switches, but just terrible movement.

If you look at the pic of my center-stick, it's actually got the Combatstick's grip. Perfect use for it! I would have a Hornet grip on there but I can't really shell out some 500 bucks for a Mil-spec simulator grip. Laughing Other than that, none of it is from a commercial joystick. the movement is based on a motorcycle universal joint (super smooth) and the tension is provided by 11 20-lb door springs. For sensors, I'm using hall sensors with neodymium magnets, connected to a little USB microchip called the "BU0836" by Leo Bodnar. (Absolutely awesome little thing... perfect for what I wanted!)

20 Re: New Joystick on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:53 pm

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
Joystick was delivered yesterday. Great setup, I'm enjoying all that functionality over the previous setup (CCRP without looking at the keyboard! Laughing ), I'd say movement is slightly better than the CH but does have a very grainy feel as you mentioned Beaker. Getting it completely mapped out on Free Falcon 5.5 has been a bit of a mission in itself!

21 Re: New Joystick on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:02 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT
Good deal! I hope you enjoy it... it's a fun bit of hardware! Very Happy

22 Re: New Joystick on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:27 pm

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
This site looks like a promising source of an F/A-18 throttle/stick. There's not much on his site, but to give you an idea of the quality, check out his F-16 replica stick. Aside from that, he sells some very authentic copies of all sorts of switches found on military control columns/throttles. I'll be keeping an eye on it Wink

Edit: assuming he doesn't just do an F-15/F-18 stick because of their similarities.

Edit 2: I contacted him, and he's casting them off authentic sticks. Apparently doesn't have a hornet one at the moment, but has a real F-15 stick.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum