You are not connected. Please login or register

F/A-18 kit/avionics

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 F/A-18 kit/avionics on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 pm

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
Hi all,

First off, progress looks great so far, I've been waiting for a dedicated Bug for years! Anyway, I've got a few questions:

What degree of aircraft functionality are you guys aiming for? I know you're going for very realistic Hornet mechanics, but I mean more in terms of modern-day Hornet kit ie. are you sticking with the original Hornet C avionics, or are you going for a more "modern" variant? Will you have AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR or the more recent AN/AAQ-28 LITENING AT pod, JHMCS, and weapons such as the JASSM, AIM-9X, AIM-132, and JSOW? Will you be simulating some of the newer datalink techs? Also it seems you're focussing on the Hornet in a naval setting, will you also be offering the modified Hornet with ILS replacing the carrier landing system that international air forces have adopted (yes, the RAAF amongst others!)? Shocked

I don't mind either way, just thought it would be good to know. If you did, it would truly blow my mind Wink

2 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:37 am

Bartek444

LTJG
LTJG
Probably toys like JSOW, JASSM, ATFLIR or Link 16 won't be implemented cuz there is only small amount of information avelible about it, details are cassified.
But let a Admin say sth. more about it afro

3 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:49 am

cmatt

RDML
RDML
It is all limited to the coder. We may be able to implement some of the eventually, but likely not initially. Link 16 will hopefully make it in.

4 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:26 am

Bartek444

LTJG
LTJG
cmatt wrote:It is all limited to the coder. We may be able to implement some of the eventually, but likely not initially. Link 16 will hopefully make it in.
LINK 16 ? OMFG !!! If it's true this sim gonna be more than awesome Twisted Evil

5 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:25 pm

cmatt

RDML
RDML
Sorry, it may make it in eventually.

6 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Bartek444

LTJG
LTJG
cmatt wrote:Sorry, it may make it in eventually.

oh ok rabbit

7 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:09 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT
It seems to me like the Seven-G approach is to create solid basics... flight dynamics, carrier operations, systems/avionics, weapons system architecture, basic AI, basic environment. When those are completed, they'll branch out to details. It's a very pragmatic and sensible approach to flight sim design, because it's easy to try to do everything immediately, but do so poorly. They're taking the quality/high road.

I hope weather makes it into the "important basics" list. Very Happy As I'm sure cmatt will tell you it's a huge factor in aviation, whether you're in a Cessna or an F/A-18.

8 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:37 pm

MudRat02

CDR
CDR
Sounds like a good approach to me, better than trying to get all those features in immediately and winding up with a half-baked sim.

Yeah good weather simulation, accurate turbulence .ect would be great if it made its way into the initial release. I'd love to see those Hornet wings shaking during low level flying Very Happy

9 Re: F/A-18 kit/avionics on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm

cmatt

RDML
RDML
To be honest, we normally fight in clear air, but can fight in weather as well. In the weather it looks grey outside, everywhere. So while weather is somewhat important, its modeling to a FSX standard really isn't required. Certainly there should be some weather to influence approaches, but no one wants or likes to fly in weather. Same goes for turbulence, it simply is not noticeable in the F-18. Unless you can actually feel it, there is not point in modeling, as your real head will not be moving with the simulated aircraft, and you will get an image of the cockpit bouncing around for no real reason and will likely be distracting. The wings shake enough, and if you are spending time looking at them, you should be spending more time on your systems and avoiding the ground. It is not comforting at all, the amount that the wings move around at low alt and high speed. Some days they look like they are going to fold on you.

Back to link, there really isn't too much to it. You get to see your formation, other aircraft and their air and ground tracks. To implement all the features of link-16 , like vector commands, really does not add that much to the sim as it doesn't get used that much in reality. To have basic formation information and their tracks should be the goal. The HSI/SA format really needs some attention, but otherwise the systems are pretty as advertised.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum